Peoples Drug Mart Walk for ALS
The Walks for ALS is the ALS Society’s signature fundraising event, which brings together family and friends in support of ALS. From a modest beginning in 2001 with eight walks across the country, the WALK for ALS has grown to more than 92 Walks., with 15 taking place in BC & the Yukon.
ALS Canada partners with the provincial ALS Societies for the annual WALK for ALS, which is held nationwide in communities across Canada. It is an important fundraiser for both ALS Canada and the provincial ALS societies.
Donations made to the WALK for ALS help in two very critical ways;
• By supporting the provincial ALS societies in their direct services for people with ALS and their families to ensure the best quality of life possible while living with ALS. Support programs provided by the ALS Society of BC.
• By supporting ALS Canada and its ability to fund breakthrough research into the causes, treatments and, ultimately, a cure for ALS.
The WALK for ALS is more than just a fundraising event:
• It is a celebration of hope for those living with ALS.
• It is a celebration of lives lived for the family and friends of those who have lost their lives to the disease.
• It gives participants the chance to share and connect with other families who have been affected by the disease.
• It provides an opportunity to generate funds to support the ALS community.
• It serves to increase awareness of and support for ALS. With increased awareness comes increased financial support which will enable people living the ALS to have the services they need to live with independence, dignity, and choice.
WALK FOR ALS IN BC & YUKON
The ALS Society of BC and Peoples Drug Mart have partnered together for the BC Walks for ALS since 2005. Since then, the Walk for ALS in BC has grown from 4 communities to 15, plus 1 more in Whitehorse, Yukon.
60% of funds raised from the BC & Yukon Walks for ALS stay in the province and go towards patient services.
The remaining 40% is allocated to research programs through ALS Canada.
In BC, 85 cents of every dollar raised goes directly to the cause.